What is MyMajorMatch?

MyMajorMatch is an Assessment tool that can be found by logging in to https://my.fiu.edu and navigating under “Admissions” for new applicants and under “Academics” for currently enrolled undergraduate students. It matches your interests with FIU Majors giving you an opportunity to explore career paths that you might have never considered. Through its interests, skills and value assessments, MyMajorMatch determines what careers and education would be best for you based on your answers. The interest assessment measures your career interests in 16 career clusters and ranks them from your most to least preferred interest.

For example, if one of your most preferred career clusters is Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics; you would then click on that cluster to learn more about it and related jobs in that field. After learning about that particular cluster, you will be able to save it in your portfolio.

MyMajorMatch helps you to keep track of college accomplishments, create resumes, practice interviewing skills and prepare for future careers!

How can I determine if my major is right for me?

When determining if your major that both reflects your interests and highlights your areas of academic strength. Here at FIU we have many tools for you to utilize during this decision-making process.

These tools include Major Maps, which plan out the courses required for a major and can be found at My Major The Undergraduate Catalog at Course Catalog is also a great resource since it lists all the major requirements and course descriptions for approximately 77 majors we offer at FIU. Another useful website to learn more information about different job and career outlooks is O*Net at OneTOnline. And last but not least, students can reach out to our Career Services Office for further support and information about any prospective careers.

Where can I get more information about jobs and careers related to my major?

To get more information on potential careers, you should utilize the results of your MyMajorMatch assessment…which hopefully you’ve already taken. Once you complete the assessment, your results, which can be accessed from the “Assessments” tab, will provide you with the Top 5 Career Clusters related to your areas of interest.

When you click on a Career Cluster, you will be directed to another website that will provide additional information so you can better understand the potential Career Pathways, Occupations and other Features.

Speaking of Features, the MyMajor Match assessment has a number of great features to assist you with your career planning. One of those features is titled, “Occupations” it utilizes a government occupational database called O*NET. That database will help you filter through your top interests and skill sets to help you identify careers that might be right for you.

Another feature is the “Job Search Tools” which provides you with the opportunity to create your own custom E-portfolio that you will be able to use to impress potential employers.

The last feature is the “Jobs” tool which utilizes information from the government O*NET database to allow you to find job opportunities in different states and regions throughout the country.

Using each of these tools should provide you with the resources you need to start planning your future career!

Want to take your research even further? FIU has teamed up with Handshake, a career management platform that intuitively connects you to relevant job opportunities based on your profile, interests, and search activity. Through Handshake, you can apply for positions, explore companies and connections, and sign up for career fairs and workshops all in one place. You can find out more information here.

What is a Major Map and how do I use it?

A major map is a program of study designed to help you graduate in a timely manner. The map is divided by semesters and contains courses required for your major, notes and critical indicators. For example, MAC1105 College Algebra is a critical marker for a Business major because success in that course indicates the likelihood of a student’s success in completing the major.

All Major Maps can be found at http://mymajor.fiu.edu/. You can search for a degree program through areas of interest, colleges or schools, campuses, and by inputting a particular program in the search box. Click on “go” or “browse.”

When you click on a major of interest, you will then be guided to a page reflecting a program description, admission criteria, career opportunities, and the contact information for the major. To the right of the screen you will see the Major Maps highlighted. Select the appropriate Major Map to view your career path.

What is My_eAdvisor?

My_eAdvisor provides you and your advisor with immediate feedback with regard to your progress on interactive Major Maps…the semester-by-semester academic plan designed for a timely graduation.

My_eAdvisor alerts you and your advisor if you are off track. This tool also provides you with opportunities to plan courses that will put you back on track.

My_eAdvisor includes a record of advising notes that both you and your advisor may view at any time.

What do I do if I'm unsure about my major?

Get started by taking FIU’s MyMajorMatch assessment, found under Academics when logging into your my.fiu.edu account. This tool will help you learn about your skills, values, and interests. Once you have completed this assessment, you might be able to identify a major that is right for you.

If you are still unsure, you can choose from FIU’s six exploratory tracks.

If you are still unsure, you can take several steps to helping you find the best-fit major for you. At FIU we offer:

  • One-on-one advising with exploratory advisors who can guide you along the way
  • Assessments that can identify best-fit majors and careers based on your personality and strengths. You can learn more at Career and Talent Development!
  • The Discover your Major (SLS 1402) course. This course is designed for exploratory majors with less than 30 credits. Through the process of self-exploration and career planning, you can learn how to match your interests and skills to an appropriate major/career.

When should I declare my major

While you may be undecided on your major, it is always a good idea to have some notion or plan as to which general path you want to follow. Ideally, you want to decide on your major by the time you earn 30 credits, which gives you a few semesters to determine where your planned path will lead you. The earlier you decide your major, the more likely it is that you will graduate on time and without excess credit hours. A decision should be made no later than by the time you earn 45 credits. You can visit the Exploratory Advising Center to learn the steps to declaring your major once you have decided on your major.

What is the UNIVERSITY CORE CURRIRULUM (UCC) and what courses fulfill the requirements for the UCC?

The UNIVERSITY CORE CURRICULUM (UCC) is a broad, well-defined curriculum that helps students learn to think, analytically and creatively. It is composed of seven different subject areas including the First Year Experience course. The seven areas were created to give FIU students a well-rounded academic background. The UCC requirements and courses are listed in the University Core Curriculum (check off form). The restrictions are included at the end of the University Core Curriculum (check off form). Make certain you read the form completely. Do not take courses that are not listed on the University Core Curriculum (check off form) in hopes that they will fulfill the requirements. Only the exact courses listed in each category will fulfill requirements!

What is a Panther Degree Audit, or PDA?

PDA stands for Panther Degree Audit. It is an automated degree audit that monitors your progress, keeping track of what requirements you have fulfilled and what requirements you still have to complete. You cannot graduate until all the sections on your Panther Degree Audit are showing “satisfied”.

You should run your PDA every semester after you have registered and at the end of each semester when grades are posted, to ensure that all the classes are being applied to the requirements as you expected. Review the Panther Degree Audit for accuracy and put the copy in your Important Documents Portfolio.

You can log into your “My FIU” account to access your PDA.

What does it mean to be on Warning/Probation/Dismissal?

A student goes on Warning the first semester the Cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. If, during the next semester, the Cumulative GPA remains below 2.0, a student is placed on Probation. The next semester, if the Cumulative AND Semester GPA are both below 2.0, the student will be dismissed. Dismissal is for a period of one year and requires an application for readmission. There is a process by which you may appeal your dismissal. You must visit the Exploratory Advising Center, SASC 428 (MMC) or ACI 180 (BBC), within 10 days of the date of your dismissal. Approval of readmission appeal is not guaranteed.

The Exploratory Advising Center requires a mandatory meeting with an advisor to discuss a plan to help improve your academic situation before registering for another term. Academic Warning and Probation are usually a result of students not using the resources available to them.

What is the forgiveness policy?

The forgiveness policy is basically a GPA booster. It allows a student to improve his/her cumulative GPA by repeating the exact same course at FIU and improving the grade. Once a course has been repeated, you can complete a form in the Registrar’s Office to have the first grade removed from the GPA calculation. It does not replace the grade…it simply removes that first grade so that your GPA will improve. Do not complete the forgiveness policy form until you have repeated the class the second time and see your grade. If you complete the form too soon and the second grade is lower, your GPA will decrease not increase because only the second grade is counted in the GPA.

When a forgiveness policy is used, both grades stay on the transcript but only the second grade will be calculated in the cumulative GPA. Remember you only have three forgiveness opportunities in your undergraduate program. Use them wisely. Courses with less than a “C” may be repeated – consider the number of credits the course is worth in your decision-making process. Also bear in mind that many professional schools such as medical school disregard FIU’s forgiveness policy and recalculate your FIU GPA based on the entire coursework showing on your transcript. So for them, there is no forgiveness.

How is the summer session different than the regular school year?

The summer session is divided into three terms. Summer C is a full summer session. Class times and frequency are like the normal academic year. Summer A is the first 6 or 7 weeks and Summer B is the second 6 or 7 weeks. Classes during A and B will meet twice as often per week in order to complete the required hours for the course. Two courses in a summer A or B term is the work equivalent of 12 credits in a regular term.

We DO NOT encourage students to take their most difficult courses in the shorter summer A or B session.

What if my AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, or Transfer credits do not appear on my Panther Degree Audit?

You should check your Panther Degree Audit to make certain AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, or transfer credits are in the system and that they have been applied to your requirements. Please keep in mind that having your credits accepted by FIU is separate from having them fulfill specific requirements. If the credits are not showing on your PDA, you need to check with the Registrar at OneStop  to see if the transcripts have been received. If you know that your transcripts have been received and your credits are still not showing on your Panther Degree Audit, meet with an advisor; your courses may be located in another part of the PDA.

Do I have a foreign language requirement?

A foreign language is part of the admission requirement to FIU. You should have taken two years of the same language in high school. If the foreign language courses were on your final high school transcript, it should have been entered in the FIU system. If it has been entered into the system, the Flent/Flex foreign language portion of the Panther Degree Audit will say “Satisfied.” If the PDA still says “Not Satisfied” and you have completed two years of language in high school, you need to check with an advisor to see what is missing.

Most academic units do not require anything in addition to the University’s foreign language requirement. However, if your major belongs under The School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) then you are required to provide foreign language competency in addition to high school credits. The main difference between the two language requirements is that two years of ordinary high school foreign language satisfies the University Foreign Language Requirement (FLENT/FLEX), but ordinary high school language courses DO NOT satisfy SIPA’s Foreign Language Requirement.

Do I have to take the First Year Experience course?

The First Year Experience course is a requirement for all UNIVERSITY CORE CURRICULUM students. All first time in college (FTIC) students and transfer students with fewer than 30 credits are required to take this one-credit course. High school earned college credit does not exempt FTIC students from this requirement. Transfer students with fewer than 30 credits who have taken a similar college-level course should bring the course description and syllabus to meet with an advisor in the Exploratory Advising Center to determine how you should proceed.

If I am having problems with a class, what do I do?

If you are having difficulty with a class, meet as soon as possible with your instructor to consider all of your options. An advisor can also help you with further decision-making. There are many campus resources available to help you. There is tutoring through the Center for Academic Success and other locations on campus, as well as workshops on how to improve your academic skills. There is also counseling through the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) for personal issues.

Remember, you need to drop a course by the designated drop deadline date. If you go beyond that date, it is difficult to petition for a late drop through the Registrar’s Office unless you can document extenuating circumstances beyond your control. However, if you are hesitating because you will lose your financial aid, consult with a financial aid advisor about your options. If you get bad grades you potentially will have a much bigger problem with your financial aid!

If you are unsure about dropping a class, come by the Exploratory Advising Center and speak with an advisor about your situation. We are here to help.

What is the difference between a major and a minor?

A major is a main area of study, which requires anywhere from 36-60 credits of upper division coursework, while a minor is an area of interest or specialization which consists of approximately 15-18 credits. In order to graduate, every student must be fully admitted to a major in one of the University’s colleges or schools.

Can I take classes outside of FIU?

You have chosen to pursue your degree at FIU, so it is expected you will complete your course work here. Some exceptions can be made if there is a compelling academic reason. In such cases the student must fill out a transient student form. If you are planning on going home for the summer, participating in the National Student Exchange, or studying abroad, you can be approved to take courses elsewhere. Check with an academic advisor in the Exploratory Advising Center about the procedures for taking classes elsewhere.

There may be financial aid, student visa or other ramifications or complications involved in taking courses elsewhere, so please speak with an advisor.

What is the Summer Enrollment Policy?

All students entering FIU with fewer than 60 credit hours are required to earn at least nine credit hours prior to graduation by attending one or more summer semesters. (Online courses can be used).

What is the Excess Credit Surcharge?

Once you attempt 110% of your program’s required credits, you will have to pay a surcharge fee. For example: If your program requires 120 credits, then the 133rd credit you attempt, and any credit after that, will incur an additional cost. Should you fail or drop (after the add/drop date) any course, or take a course that does not satisfy your major’s requirements, the credits will count toward the excess credit surcharge counter.

Make sure to keep track of your credit hours using the excess credit counter found in your my.fiu.edu account. To avoid paying an excess credit surcharge, do not wait too long to decide on a major and meet with your academic advisor regularly.

What is the Summer Waiver Policy?

Students admitted to FIU with less than 60 credits may request a waiver for the summer enrollment requirement due to unusual hardship.

Please see the Summer Waiver page for more information.

I am a freshman; do I have a global learning requirement?

If you are a freshman who entered FIU Summer 2010 or later, there is a global learning requirement you need to complete prior to graduation. Of the two courses that are required, one must be a Global Learning Foundations course, which can be found in the UCC; courses are designated with a GL. The second course needs to be a Global Learning Discipline-Specific course, which is a 3000 level or higher global learning course without an IDS prefix taken in the context of your major.

I am a transfer student; do I have a global learning requirement?

If you are a transfer student who entered FIU Fall 2011 or later, there is a global learning requirement you need to complete prior to graduation.

Transfers who meet UCC requirements prior to entering FIU (like those with an AA from a Florida public institution) are required to take two upper-division Global Learning courses. Traditionally, both would be Global Learning Discipline-Specific courses, which are 3000 level or higher global learning courses without an IDS prefix taken in the context of your major. However, one of your courses may be a Global Learning Foundations course in the UCC in consultation with your advisor.

Transfers who do not meet UCC requirements prior to entering FIU must take one Global Learning Foundations course and one Global Learning Discipline-Specific course.

Transfer courses may not be used to meet this FIU requirement.

Click here for a list of Global Learning Courses.